by Kimberly Wade
You already know we here at Nevada Humane Society love to brag about our accomplishments and encourage you to support us in all of our lifesaving endeavors. But, what we probably don’t do enough, is offer up our gratitude to you, because without you, we wouldn’t be where we are today. Our successes are your successes. As 2015 has now come to an end, here’s a look at our year in review thanks to you!
- Over 15,000 animals received care at Nevada Humane Society and 10,626 pets were adopted into loving homes!
- The Home 4 the Holidays pet adoption campaign saw 1,377 dogs and cats go home—plus 25 small animals for a total of 1,402 animals!
- Celebrated the first full year in partnership with Carson City, where Nevada Humane Society now operates Animal Services, the shelter and provides pet adoptions to the community. Carson City can now be proud of a 95% save rate, an increase from 55% before the partnership!
- Also in Carson City, we broke ground on an amazing new animal shelter. Construction is now underway for a much needed new complex for homeless pets in our State’s Capital!
- Over 2,000 animals received foster care to get ready for adoption, including adult cats and dogs, kittens and puppies and rabbits!
- Close to 2,000 feral cats were trapped, cared for, neutered, vaccinated and returned to their community!
- Because of the Pets For Life program, which provides community outreach to people and pets in underserved communities, specifically the 89512 zip code, there was a 50% reduction in animals arriving to the shelter from that area!
- The Blitz Grants, generously funded by PetSmart Charities, helped Nevada Humane Society spay and neuter 1,644 owned pets!
- Thanks to an incredibly inspiring adoption story, Nevada Humane Society was awarded the grand prize Holiday Wishes grant from the Petco Foundation!
- Awarded the 100% Giving Board Award, which means that every single member of the Board of Directors supported Nevada Humane Society with monetary donations!
- Awarded first place in the RNR’s Best Of Northern Nevada for Best Animal Shelter, Best Local Place to Work, Best Business Facebook Page and Best Local Non-Casino Business!
- The inaugural Heels & Hounds event, a fashion show and champagne brunch extravaganza, debuted in April and a second one has been scheduled for April 10, 2016!
- During Maddie’s Pet Adoption Days, 589 animals went to loving homes over a two day period!
- The annual Duck Race & Festival in August went on despite very low water levels in the Truckee, even raising the most money yet, to help homeless pets!
- Two new programs for kids debuted, Books & Buddies, where young students practice reading to shelter pets; and Pals & Paws, offering kids animal welfare education!
That’s quite the list and yet it doesn’t come close to covering everything we accomplished in 2015! The important thing we hope you take away from this is that we reached these lifesaving milestones all thanks to your support. Your fundraising efforts, networking, Facebook shares, Instagram likes, volunteer hours, donations and more all led to saving lives. Your support allowed us to reunite people and pets, help people keep their pets in tough times and place homeless pets into loving homes. Thank you for helping to create a bright future for so many pets in need.